Plain Language Seminars
Our plain language seminars set out the principles of clear, effective communication, for lawyers and non-lawyers. We tailor our seminars to the needs of the particular client.
We can design seminars for large and small groups, for one hour, or several hours, or for a whole day.
Typical seminar content (for lawyers)
Why is legal language so complex?
Plain legal language: What is it?
Philosophy of plain legal language
- It is possible to express complex legal concepts in plain language
- Plain language is legally effective and precise
- Plain language is more efficient for lawyers and clients
- Readers prefer plain language
- Judges prefer plain language.
- Importance of organisation and structure
- Writing for the reader, not the writer
- Writing to inform, not to impress
- Sentence length
- Verbs versus nouns
- Active versus passive
- "Must" versus "shall"
- Layout and design
- Maps and diagrams
- Notes, examples, and simplified outlines
- What to do with terms of art?